Thursday, February 8, 2018

Don't Burn The Chicken

Don't Burn The Chicken

Slow and steady wins the race. All of my life, in every aspect, I have struggled with taking things slow. I have always wanted everything now and for everything to be done and over with. I don’t know how many times my mother would make me go back and clean the bathroom again because I tried to rush it and forgot to do things, or just left things sloppy. I can hear her now, “Haste makes waste!” If I had listened to her and taken the time to do things right to begin with, it would have taken less time in the long run.

Even today, I tend to rush things! One thing I am still learning, is that even with cooking, it takes time. Well, if you want it to taste really good that is. Take chicken for instance... I would often turn the heat to high to try to cook it faster, but then I would end up just burning it while the inside was still not quite cooked or crazy dry! I’ve now learned to turn the heat down and slowly cook it for the perfect moist chicken. My favorite chicken takes even more time and that’s in the crockpot. If you follow the recipe and let the chicken cook for several hours, it just falls apart and tastes like pure joyful goodness and you can’t stop thinking about it for days!

The same rings true with God’s Word. If you all are like me, I often find myself behind in the Daily Bread Bible Reading and then trying to play catch up. This involves me doubling up on my days and trying to read as much as I can and as fast as I can. However, doing this, I’m not getting everything out of God’s Word that I could be getting from it. I’m missing out on the whole purpose of the Daily Bread Reading. The whole purpose is to get us to build a habit of reading God’s Word so that we can learn and glean from the Scripture.

Reading God’s Word is like a crockpot, ladies. That’s right, I said crockpot. We should take our time with His Word, study His scripture and think about it. Pray about it! God breathed every word into His Holy Book for us. There is so much in there that we could be missing. The more we take our time and just let His word saturate us, the more we will get out of it, and the better we will be as a person.

I don’t know about you, but when I take my time and study His scripture and really think about His Words, I learn so much more! So if you’re behind already in the daily Bible Reading chart like I am? That’s OK! Don’t rush through, just to play catch up. You’ll only get burnt out! Take your time, pick up from today, dive into His Word, and let it slowly cook you into that perfect chicken you really want.

                       

 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

2 Timothy 3:16-17


                    

"The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness; but of every one that is hasty only to want." 
Proverbs 21:5


                    
-Written By Faith Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment