Thursday, November 19, 2020

Praise Him In The Storm

 


A popular Casting Crowns song states it best, “I was sure by now, God you would have reached down and wiped our tears away,” but what do we do when God hasn’t stopped our pain and suffering? This year has been especially awful for many people in all walks of life, across the entire world. We have been suffering with this pandemic and how to overcome the ill health effects as well as the effects it is having on the economy, our daily lives, and the church. This year has proven that even though the storm is raging, lasting longer than anyone could expect, we must still continue to praise the God of the storm and the God that ‘gives and takes away’. 


Job loss has been one of the greatest hurdles to overcome during this time. While we are all mindful that our health should be of great concern, many people have struggled to keep food on their table and feed not only themselves, but their families and children. With much of the country shut down for several months, the people were forced to rely on other means in order to get food, water, and even shelter in some areas. How could they focus on praising God when such horrible things were happening to them? My question: how could we not praise God when this is happening? I looked to the scriptures to find that encouragement to keep pressing on in the face of chaos and fear; Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee (Deuteronomy 31:6). The Lord will never leave us to fend for ourselves, he will not forsake me and toss us to the wayside. He will provide in the time of need. Whatever we have need of he will make the way to provide it. Even in these great times of uncertainty, God is still certain, and still providing.

As churches were closing their doors to keep their saints safe and out of harm’s way, we saw a new church begin to rise. The ‘Online Church’ was birthed in this storm and has given new life to many who may not have attended services in person. In this case, God shut the doors to the church and opened that window we’re always hearing about. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11). The Lord knew what was going to happen this year, it didn’t surprise him. He had already formed the plan to allow the church to continue to prosper and reach the lost even in this time of crisis when everything was shut down. He knew the church would continue.

From my personal experience I can say with certainty that praising God during the storm is the easiest way to get through it. I’ve faced many challenges in life, not just this year alone, but over time, and when I’ve ignored God and pushed Him away, the problems only festered and grew. When I gave in to what God wanted, praised Him even in the midst of hardship, He made a way and saw me through the storm. I often lean on songs in time of need, they stick with me and comfort me, and remind me that even ‘when trials fierce assail me as storms are gath’ring o’er, I rest upon His mercy and trust Him more.’ I cling to these songs that remind me that God is not absent in the storm, He’s right there keeping us anchored and steady through the storm. I must trust Him more in these desperate times, not less. He is the only one who can see the beginning from the end, He knows the struggles we have and never leaves us. He’s as close as his name, Jesus, and He will never leave me. So when the storms start raging, things all fall apart in life, when we don’t know what else to do, simply praise Him in that storm, when there is nothing else you can do, you can praise Him.

-Written By: Meghan West


No comments:

Post a Comment