Thursday, November 3, 2016

Easy Pickins







Easy Pickins 

 "But the plants soon wilted under the hot sun, and since they didn’t have deep roots, they died "


I just came in from pulling weeds from my driveway and with a garden bed full of weeds, you would have thought I would have chosen to go there instead. But no. I don’t mind pulling weeds from my driveway. You know why? Because the weeds always come out. Roots and all. I can pull the toughest weed right out with little to no resistance. The roots just can’t hang on when there is sand and lots of rocks. Jesus said something about this too. (Matt 13:5-6, Other seeds fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. The seeds sprouted quickly because the soil was shallow. But the plants soon wilted under the hot sun, and since they didn’t have deep roots, they died.)
It made me think about my garden beds that have been neglected. I go through times where weeding isn’t my priority and before I know it, the weeds take over. All it would take is 15 minutes a day and this wouldn’t happen.
When I pull weeds from the flower bed, MOST of the time I do not get the root tip. Dandelions are some of the toughest weeds. Their roots go deep and if the very tip doesn’t come out, you can be sure in one week it starts all over again.
Why don’t I just spray some chemical on it and be done for a month? I need the sunshine, I need the exercise and our world needs fewer toxins. Doesn’t that just scream at you? For the weeds in my life, I just need some daily time with Jesus, I need the discipline and I need less sin in my world.
On the flip side, does the enemy consider me as being in the driveway or in the flowerbed? 

-Written By Tracy Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment